Thursday 20 March 2008

Magical mystery tour

‘Every day is different’ is usually one of the reasons care home managers give for liking the job – and after spending the last two days interviewing care home managers for Bettercaring.com it’s something I can fully appreciate.

Having visited a number of modern purpose-built homes, I’ve witnessed some excellent examples of best practice and person-centred care first-hand. But at the end of two draining days in Barnet and Bristol, something heart-warming happened; an eager resident took me on a tour of her care home.

Bursting with pride, Violet took over the mantle when the care manager was called away mid-tour. Despite suffering from dementia and relying on a Zimmer-frame for support, she had boundless energy and clearly loved the home and the staff. She’d pause and speak to other residents, describing them to me as “lovely” (and me to them as her “new friend”). And even despite the use of a frame, she kept up a frantic pace.

It didn’t matter that we were simply going backwards and forwards down the same corridor. Violet was enjoying being the centre of attention – and I was enjoying the unique ‘tour’. In fact, it was a shame when the care manager returned and the proper tour resumed.

But Violet wasn’t deterred so easily. She joined us on our mini-adventure around the home, and helped the care manager just like a trusty co-pilot. She even asked if I could move a teddy bear off an empty chair so another resident could sit down!

Eventually Violet lost interest and decided her time would be better spent in the lounge with some of the other residents. There were no goodbyes – she just drifted off.

It hit home just how serious and affecting dementia can be, and although Violet may not remember my name (she forgot it almost instantly) or my visit, she certainly left a profound impact on me.

No comments: